I suspect that many people may not have spotted the publication of the proposed changes to the English national curriculum in the run up to Christmas. These are some of the significant proposals:
- The national curriculum should set out only the essential knowledge (facts, concepts, principles and fundamental operations) that all children should acquire.
- Key stage 2 should be split into a lower and upper KS2.
- Key stage 3 should be reduced to two years, and key stage 4 expanded to three.
- Oral language should be a key feature of the new curriculum.
- Modern foreign languages, history, geography and design and technology should be compulsory subjects up to the age of 16.
- The system of measuring progress by levels should be ended.
Implementation of the revised curriculum has been put back to autumn 2014. There will consultation between now and then.